It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.

Edmund Hillary

7.18.2008

Middling progress.

I’ve been making a point to put the bar up every day for a few minutes since I turned on the daily 43T email reminder, but I’m not too happy with the way things are going. My place is just sort of too small and low and dark. I can’t just leave the bar up because it blocks the door, so I have to do this deliberately and that is what really slows the progress. When I had one up all the time, I would make it a habit to hang off of it or try one or two as I walked through the door – every time I had to use the bathroom or go to the kitchen. Now that it’s this ordeal to put up and I hang too low and I have to be in this smelly corner by the front door I have been making minimal progress: as in I hang there for a while (definitely less than 30 seconds) and kind of squiggle around, unable to decide if I want to work on L-sits or reverse negatives. I end up half-assing both. Then I kind of just try to spin around on the bar while hanging at the bottom (to help with my trapeze goal too) but then I am in such a cramped space that I can’t do very much of that and I get bummed and put the bar away again.

I guess it’s time to just focus on one of those things, huh? Since this goal is about pull-ups and I only have about 2 weeks left on the challenge, maybe I can just worry about L-sits and the state of my abs later. Or you know, do crunches the regular old way. I just have to remember not to let myself get carried away by the awesomeness of hanging off of a bar. It’s such a huge reminder of how NOT strong I am when I am starting to feel too smug about my physical progress, but it also makes me feel overly ambitious, which sets me up for low morale and failure.

So that’s it, I guess. No more bar play (temporarily) – only pull-ups, chin-ups and flexed arm hangs (plus supplementary push-ups and dips) until August 1st and we’ll see if I can’t succeed at this goal despite the crappy environmental cues.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home