It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.

Edmund Hillary

3.10.2008

eating and blogging and not sleeping


This is me trying to blog with a microwavable calzone from Trader Joe's in one hand. Midterms are hitting me hard this week. The LA marathon exacted a high toll last week, leaving me wondering if I had a stress fracture in my hip. Turns out it was just a nasty case of bursitis... which I didn't figure out until Thursday afternoon when I could walk again (with a limp) for more than 10 seconds at a time. The next few days spent cooped up in my apartment studying and doing homework finally allowed the limp to go away too. Just in time for me to sprint across campus today and be 10 minutes late for my first midterm!

I'm not even sure what is going on with my sleep schedule either. All I know is that I'm not getting enough of it, and the little I do get is not happening at the right times. I'm reminded of a time in college when a friend told me about the uberman sleep schedule wherein one takes short naps at regular intervals instead of sleeping straight through the night. Somehow, this schedule reminds me of eating several small meals throughout the day routine (as opposed to the traditional 3 large meals), but I know it's not as healthy. It's really just a way to get through exam time. It completely robs me of the ability to do any exercise and I can go 12-24 hours without eating and not even notice--as long as I keep pumping sugar into my system semi-regularly so that my brain can function and then binge on carbs at least once a day. Cherry cider, ice cream and that big pot of spaghetti I made two days ago have been my steady companions.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm going on about this, but my calzone is almost gone now and it will be time to hit the books again soon. This is all to say that I really wish I could just sleep through one (delicious, savory, wonderfully long) night and go for a run when I wake up, but... well, fat chance that will happen anytime this week.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home